Tantalizing Terror


The I&C Blog had the opportunity to interview Mike Wolfman of Terror Comics. According to Mike's "Stats" listed on The Terror Comics site he was: 

"Born under the light of a full moon, Mike Wolfman enjoys boobz, comics, monster truck rallys, loud tunes and Terrorizing moustache hipsters!!  Lock up your daughter from this Wolfman unless you want a litter of grandkids... CHILL!!  Also, he considers himself to be the Most Rad Pack Rat!!" 
 
Behind the colorful descriptions and eye popping designs, you can find that Terror Comics is all about pushing the creative envelope. Take a look at the interview and photos below:  

      
I&C: How'd you get into the comic book industry? And is "cartooning," “author,” or “artist” the right word for it?
Wolfman: I have always had love for comics but to narrow it down to a specific event I would have to say I had an itch to start a horror comic with photographic noir images kinda like the old pin ups from the forties but I put a modern twist on it.

I&C: Do you create cartoons from actual experience in the world? If not, where?
Wolfman: Everything around me is inspiring and inspires new stories however I am an artist but I believe in letting other people do the illustrations for the Terror Comic. To me this ads variety and a uniqueness that will appeal to others than an issue of just my work.

I&C: What sparks your creativity? Do you prefer a specific work environment, space, etc.?
Wolfman: Yes, I prefer my home more so than any other place for my imagination to run crazy. However, I spend alot of time at my local comic shop (Keiths Comics) on mockingbird near mockingbird station!! Keiths Comics is a place where I myself and others go to learn about comics from the past and present. I consider the owner my mentor and look up to him as a role model.


I&C: What's your favorite cartoon topic? What's the most difficult topic you had to cartoon?
Wolfman: I like it when the hero or heroin is conflicted with a decision that with which ever he or she chooses there will be something to be lost or a serious consequence. however topics come pretty easy to me but the difficult part is trying to figure out a twist for the ending.

I&C: What are the things that you find most difficult to do? And how did you deal with them?
Wolfman: It's very difficult to manage my time with everything that is involved in the whole comic book process and working it around the radio show. I learned to deal with this by talking with my Grandmother. Every time I'm feeling stressed out I give her a call and she says " Take 5 deep breaths, calm down and focus and get out there and put your man pants on."

I&C: What is your favorite book?
Wolfman: I don't have a specific book that I would call my favorite but at the moment I'm really enjoying The Watchmen and The Spirit both are on D.C.

I&C: How often do you draw, how many hours per day, and how do you break up the day for drawing?
Wolfman: I draw almost every day to stay fresh and I always keep a sketchpad in my backpack at all times. You never know when some frumpy ass person will walk in and inspire something new!!

I&C: Do you write a script or make up the drawing as you go?
Wolfman: First I start with a storyboard and a sketchpad with thumbnails. I have attended the Art Institute in my younger days and learned alot about animation before getting kicked out!!

I&C: Do you compose the page as a whole or do you focus more on individual panel composition?
Wolfman: Individual panel composition all the way!! I mean each frame has to tell a story by itself so when it's put all together you achieve a masterpiece.

I&C: Do you read a lot of comics? If so, which do you read?
Wolfman: Yes!! Too many actually, I have to stay current on certain issues so I can talk about them on Terror Radio. It's tough because as a reader and collector I am tempted with issues from the past.

I&C: Are comics your passion?
Wolfman: Yes!! Every night i go to bed with comics on my mind and wake up in the morning still thinking about comics. It's more than a passion it's an addiction!! I dream in comic books. Also, I have to go to a comic book store everyday or my day is not the same.

I&C:
Do you make comics for a living? if not, how do you support yourself, and how does this relate to the kinds of comics you create?
Wolfman: I make and sell my own comics at comic shops and metal and punk shows. I also "dabble" in selling vintage and collections of comics kinda like an antique dealer that deals Ebay.

I&C: What is more important to you; the style or the concept of the comic?
Wolfman: Both, You need style and concept to achieve a great story!! Style will help you be more visually stimulating and a great concept is definitely needed to make a great story.

I&C: What upcoming events, projects, and publicity would you like to share? Where can we see more of your work?
Wolfman: We will be at the Dallas Comic Con on April 21st. Also every Thursday we record a new episode of Terror Radio and broadcast it on DEEPELLUMONAIR.COM

Look at last Thursday's episode below and don't forget to tune in today for a new Terror Radio episode.


I&C: Are there any questions you were expecting that I didn't ask and you care to answer?
Wolfman: Ummm.. my favorite food is pizza and cheetos and I'm a huge fan of lazer gunz and boobeez!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to Mike Wolfman for the interview we appreciate the opportunity and hope to work with you again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment